Genetics Home > Children With Klinefelter Syndrome

Seeking Help Early for Children With Klinefelter Syndrome

The parents of children with Klinefelter syndrome can compensate for their child's language disability by providing special help in language development, beginning at an early age. However, there is no easy formula to meet the language needs of all children with Klinefelter syndrome. Like everyone else, children with Klinefelter syndrome are unique individuals. A few may not have any trouble learning to read and write, while the rest may have language impairments ranging from mild to severe.
If their son's speech seems to be lagging behind that of other children, parents should ask their child's pediatrician for a referral to a speech pathologist for further testing. A speech pathologist specializes in the disorders of voice, speech, and language.
Public Law 99-457 is an amendment to Public Law 94-142 that assists states in providing special education services for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. Eligibility requirements and entrance procedures vary from state to state. Parents can call the Federation for Children with Special Needs to learn which agencies to contact in their area.
Parents should also pay particular attention to their child's hearing. Like other small children, infants and toddlers with Klinefelter syndrome may suffer from frequent ear infections. With any child, such infections may impair hearing and delay the acquisition of language. Such a hearing impairment may be a further setback for children with Klinefelter syndrome who are already having language difficulties.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Arthur Schoenstadt, MD
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation



Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.